Hello friends! Hope your day is off to a great start! I feel like I have exercise ADD because I’m always trying something new or looking for the latest fitness trend. I consider myself a devotee if I do something at least three times. That is a very low bar! But you know I’ve been a Zumba fan for the looooongest time and so when I saw that there was a new at-home Zumba program being released, I had to have it! Note- Some of the links contained in this post are Amazon affiliate links. Thank you so much for supporting this blog!
I already have the Zumba Exhilarate DVD set and love it so I was excited to see what Zumba Incredible Results DVD set had to offer. When I opened up the package, I was greeted with the bright green Zumba step riser, six DVDs and the nutrition guide and program guide.
Right away I noticed in the program guide that some of my favorite instructors were going to be featured on this DVD set as Zumba All-Stars. I was so excited! I couldn’t wait to check out Gina, Beto, Nick, Cassie and Loretta!
1. Zumba Step– The first and foremost difference in this program is that it includes the brand new Zumba Step workout. Zumba just launched this program this year and as someone who not only used to love step aerobics, but used to teach it as well, I was excited to try this out. The video is 45 minutes long and you use the round green step that comes with the set. It is smaller than a normal step and a slightly lower height, which is mostly due to the fact that you are literally dancing on this step for some moves.
I really enjoyed this DVD because it was a perfect combination of athletic step moves with dancey, Zumba moves. I’ve never really danced on the step before and it was really fun. it was also a much more modern and fresh take on this 80s classic. The burn is moderate in my opinion. You’ll work up a good sweat and there is a mix of hard core cardio songs with slower songs designed to focus on athletic moves and toning. This DVD is great for the legs and booty!
I burned about 350 calories in this 45 minute class.
2. Quick Start + 20 Minute Express– Like the Zumba Exhilarate DVD, the Incredible Results DVD includes a Quick Start, which is basically a breakdown of the common Zumba rhythms: merengue, cumbia, reggaeton, salsa and samba. The instructors give you an overview of what the steps look like at tempo and then slow things down and break down the steps. This is perfect if you are just starting out with Zumba.
The 20 Minute Express Video is the natural progression after the Quick Start. It puts the rhythms you just learned together with music and other choreography. It is fun, easy to follow and a good short workout. This DVD is perfect for beginners as well because it doesn’t go too fast and the choreography is fairly simple. Plus, it is lead by Nick, whose master class I took last fall, and he is a great dancer!
These videos are not huge calorie burners, but they are perfect if you are just starting out or need a quick workout.
3. Super Cardio Dance Party– This is my favorite DVD of the entire Incredible Results System! In fact, it might just be one of my all-time favorite Zumba videos! Each Zumba song contains a high-intensity cardio interval segment where the instructors take things up a notch to really get your heart rate going. I appreciate this new format because, as much as I love Zumba, sometimes it can be more of a moderate workout depending on the dance choreography. These high-intensity cardio busts really kick the workout into high gear. The cardio bursts are also generally easy to follow with less emphasis on choreography and more emphasis on simple and effective cardio movements.
This video offers the most calorie burn of all the DVDs. I burned over 550 calories in this 55 minute DVD and the time flew by! The music is great and the choreography is inventive. The instructors switch off every song so you get a good range of styles and it includes one of my favorite instructors, Cassie. This one will work its way into my regular rotation for sure.
The cardio bursts are indicated by the black and white screen with green pops!
4. Zumba Max– This DVD is 60 minutes in length and follows a more traditional Zumba format with a warm-up, merengue, salsa, cumbia, reggaeton and other common Zumba rhythms. The DVD is high energy and keeps you motivated through the entire hour. The DVD is instructed by Beto, the creator of Zumba, and he has a core cast of backup instructors with him throughout the DVD, however, for some songs he adds a few additional instructors, which gives it a fun, party-like atmosphere.
With a great mix of faster songs and some more moderately paced songs, this DVD was my second biggest calorie burner coming in just behind the Cardio Dance Party at about 530 calories in 60 minutes. I loved the music on this DVD too and will definitely be doing this one often.
5. 30 Minute Burn– This express workout is taught by a Zumba All-Star favorite, Gina. She joins forces with different instructors for each song and while the format follows the Zumba-style, it does not adhere to it strictly, meaning you get a nice variety here. The vibe of the class is laid back and fun with the set being filmed in a large warehouse. The instructors are up on a stage while participants dance in the background simulating a live class, similar to the ZIN DVDS.
Long-time Zumba fans might recognize some remixes of their old favorite songs and as with the other DVDs in the Incredible Results program, the music is spot on! This class is perfect if you are short on time and want a quick, fun workout. It is moderately intense so you’ll get a good workout without feeling like you left everything on the dance floor. In the 30 minute class, I burned about 250 calories.
6. Amazing Abs– This is an add-on DVD in my opinion. It is 15 minutes long and is similar to the Sentao workout included in the Exhilarate DVD set. The DVD focuses on the abs and core while using a chair to perform standing and seated moves. There are some minimal cardio moves sprinkled throughout the workout as well.
I am not a huge fan of the Sentao workout only because my preferred method for working my core and abs is through barre or Pilates classes. However, this DVD is easy to follow and is a nice compliment to the shorter workouts. I would have preferred to see another toning DVD, like in the Exhilarate set but it doesn’t make or break this set for me in any way.
The DVD also comes with a meal plan, which looks pretty awesome, although I admit I haven’t really tried it out yet. Their snacks area really intriguing (think kale chips, plantain chips, beet crisps…yum!) and the plan looks reasonable. I just find that unless you are home all day with access to a kitchen, these plans can be a little overwhelming in terms of food prep. I also usually end up spending way too much on groceries because each recipe seems to call for completely different recipes than the last. I’m a fan of coordinating my recipes in order to waste less food (for example, I like to buy eggs if I’m going to use them in at least two dishes, same with herbs, etc).
There is also a schedule, which is great if you are planning on using this program exclusively. I’m a Zumba once a week girl so I didn’t use the schedule, but it is definitely helpful if you need that guidance! It also contains a stretching guide, which is so important because not every DVD has a cool down and stretch.
Overall I think this is a high quality DVD set from Zumba. Zumba Incredible Results really improves from the Exhilarate DVD set and provides a more intense workout, especially in the two full-length DVDs. The music throughout is fantastic and is very similar to what you would hear in a live class. In fact, I noticed a lot of the songs were featured on previous ZIN (Zumba Instructor Network) DVD/CD sets. For instructors, this is great news because these DVDs provide even more choreography options for the CDs you already own.
For the rest of the public, it just means you get some awesome music that is way better than most fitness DVDs. One thing I did note in specific to ZIN members, there were at least two songs where I recognized the choreography is being an exact match to the ZIN DVD. Since it is only two songs, it isn’t really a big deal but I would definitely be annoyed if this became standard Zumba practice! Even so, I highly recommend this DVD set. You’ll get a great workout, have a lot of fun and may get some awesome Latin tunes stuck in your head! The two new formats are really great and it just goes to show that Zumba is moving forward with the times.
Readers, were you a step aerobics person back in the day? How do you feel about high-intensity bursts in a dance class? What’s your favorite music genre?